Sunday, September 5, 2010

29 Jul 08: Things we take for granted ...besides green leafy vegetables of course

Power … as in electricity. Power cuts are quite frequent in Mysore. I’ve been protected from this in previous trips because my landlord had a spare battery installed. So, provided the power cut wasn’t for too long, I always had light. I could still continue to watch tv (yes, I actually have cable tv. Seinfeld every night 730pm … fabulous!) but that would drain the battery and leave me in the dark sooner than I’d like.

This year has been slightly different however. The spare battery died and hadn’t been replaced. Also, the power cuts have been very regular, sometimes for a few hours – and often at night. This means living by candlelight (and no tv of course!). Thankfully it hasn’t been that hot so no fan is fine (and for those of you who are wondering … no, there isn’t AC here!). Good thing I sleep early here ‘cos there isn’t much you can do in the dark.

Mysore also has, so they say, the mildest weather in India. So, despite it being monsoon season all over the country, it’s been pretty dry and hot. Which is good because the water in the house is heated by solar power. So, if there was a power cut and rain, I’d be taking a cold shower by candlelight … bbrrr. Not a pleasant thought, thanks to my mum who taught us to always go to bed clean. This means that I have to shower before sleeping, rain or shine!

The good news is that the landlord bought a new battery today … AND … finally strung up a wire from his broadband modem so i now have internet access in my room! Ch .. chnnngg!

The next thing I’ll give thanks for back home is the Washing Machine!!
I have to handwash everything. I could send stuff to the ‘laundry service’ but I think they beat the clothes against big stones and leave the clothes hanging outside when it’s raining so I’ll take my chances with my own feeble attempts thank you very much.

My landlord has his own washing machine downstairs … hhmm, anyone got any cunning plans?

OH … I found lettuce in a new big mega mall-type place today … affordable too … shame they look like they’ve gone past their sell-by date …

AND … here’s some random trivia - you can get a thali (set meal of rice, dhal & veg) for minimum 30 rup (S$1). That’s also the minimum for a roll of toilet paper. Standards are improving. These days you can get 3 ply! 4 years ago, toilet paper was more like sandpaper - bit better than that china-brand you like dad .. ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment