Sunday, September 5, 2010

1 Sep 08: The early bird catches the worm?

… provided the worm’s actually awake already!!

Let me try and give you some context of the overall practice week.
We practice 6 days most weeks. Saturday is rest day. Every other week there is a full or new moon day. No practice on moon days so this means an extra rest day.

We start and end the week with a Led class (ie Sunday and Fridays). ‘Led’ means that Sharath leads us through the ashtanga series. I am in the 1st batch (about 60+ people), 4.45am so my day starts at 3.45am. I’m done by 630am… yes, when most of you are still asleep.

Tuesday to Thursdays is Mysore-style. This means you go through the series up to the last pose which you have been given. Your practice could range from 30 minutes (absolute beginner) to 1 ½ - 2 hours as you take on more poses. The way it works here is when you first arrive in Mysore, you practice in the latest group which is currently around 8am. As people leave over the weeks, you get moved up to the earlier time slots. The earliest batch starts at 4.45am. I am now in the 5.45am batch and hoping to stay there! I’m usually done around 8am, depending how long I conk out in relaxation.

I live about 10 minutes walk from the Shala. It’s pitch dark when I leave. There is street-lighting (most days) at periodic intervals along the road. If lights are out, you pray that you avoid any cow dung patties along the way. At 4.15am, I always pass a few vendors pushing their empty carts on the way to get their supplies. Sometimes I see the milk delivery people. Don’t ask me what the other people are doing walking around at that time because I do pass the random person(s) on the street. Nothing is open; the earliest chai stand opens at 5am.

On days when I leave at 5.30am, there is already a quiet bustle in the air. Sometimes I can faintly hear the Muslim morning call to pray. Rickshaws are already plying the roads or waiting at corners for passengers. Eateries are preparing food for breakfast, some people are already having their first chai of the day. People are out for their morning walks, often bundled up in sweaters and beanies. Even if they’re exercising, the ladies still wear their saris. The only difference is some may wear trainers instead of slippers.

My favourite time of the day is right after practice. It’s still very cool so there is a refreshing nip in the air, which is nice after the heat and humidity of the shala. I take a slow walk down to the coconut stand where I’m greeted by one of my favourite Mysore men, the coconut man. 2 coconuts later, it’s a leisurely stroll home, picking up either a packet of fresh milk or any fruit & veg I need from the stalls along the way.

There’s a certain satisfaction of coming home with the feeling of already accomplishing something significant. And it’s only 830am, when the day is starting for most people.

After a shower, it’s laundry time. This formerly major event used to involve soaking, scrubbing, rinsing and wringing. It has now been significantly downgraded to … dumping the clothes in the machine and pressing ‘Start’.

Food has always been close to my heart so the first dilemma for the day is ‘Where shall I go for breakfast?’. Eat-in or out? Local or Western? This decision constitutes enough material for its own update :o)

PS. For those of you want to have a mental picture of practicing in the shala, here’s one
http://flickr.com/photos/yogasurf/2719105975/in/set-1191180/

There are a lot more in that set, the latter part taken in workshops around the world. Some are of pretty advanced poses … please do not get freaked out and do not try this at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment