Monday, September 6, 2010

2 Nov 08: Coffee tourist, Chai citizen

I used to love coffee. In my former Consultant life, my favourite daily ritual was going out to get coffee, usually after lunch. I’d also go straight to the pantry for a cup after getting into the office in the morning.

Mum & dad never allowed us to drink coffee when we were kids … too young they said. My first cup of coffee was in university. No surprise I couldn’t sleep a wink that night.

My preference is Cappuccino or Café Latte. I don’t like strong coffee. Even Spinelli’s decaf is too strong for me. So, it’s lots of milk with as much chocolate sprinkles as I can get away with. Coffee Bean coffee tastes like water. I don’t like the taste of Starbucks coffee and their dark wood furniture depresses me. I guess McCafe coffee gives the best value for money (Elena, do I get more free coupons for advertising for Ken?). Local coffee smells great but it’s very black and strong so I’d need a lot of milk. However, I’m not a big fan of condensed / evaporated milk, except in Teh Halia which is a separate topic of ‘love’ altogether.

One day, I went off coffee. I have no idea why because I still love the smell of freshly-brewed coffee plus coffee / mocha is my favourite ice-cream flavour. I’m still trying to decide if the coffee attraction was related to working in Accenture. Was it just an excuse to skive off work? Caffeine kick to stave off the post-lunch food coma?

There is a theory that practicing yoga makes you more sensitive to tastes and smells. That however is squashed by the number of coffee-drinking yogis I know. It’s a well-known fact that Sharath and his mum have a coffee-break every morning whilst we practice. The other day I was upside-down in downward dog, just outside their office, when the tantalising smell of coffee wafted into my nostrils. It smelt so good I almost got off my mat to beg for some!

Teh Halia I’ve always loved – kurang manis, halia lebih (less sweet, extra halia). My friend once calculated that I went to Adam Road for teh halia 2.3 times a week.  In India, they don’t have teh halia so it’s chai instead.
Chai seller in the market

I personally prefer masala chai as it’s spicy like teh halia but usually the taste of the spices is so weak, you’re better off without it. On the other extreme, one restaurant’s masala chai was more like black pepper tea. Awful!

Chai here is usually brewed by the pot. They use fresh milk and way too much sugar. Indians love their sugar. You can order chai ‘sugar separate’ but that’s a special order and when you force them to tweak their recipe, more likely than not you’ll get awfully tasting chai. You know you’ve become part-Indian when you order sugarless chai but end up adding it in yourself.

There is one chai shop, Joy House, in the old part of town which makes the best chai.
Joy House from across the street
Chai 'pulling' technique
The combination of tea and milk is just right – and it’s not too sweet so I don’t even ask for the sugarless option. The owner is trained as a lawyer but decided to take over the shop his father started. Everything is made to order at his shop so every batch of tea is freshly-brewed when you order it. He even ‘tariks’ it the proper way to cool the tea.

For my masala chai fix, I just pop behind to my neighbour Steve’s house. Yes, my American-chef-bouncer friend has now mastereded THE best masala chai – a perfect blend of tea, milk and spices. I can boast that I was there from the start, when the tea taste was too strong, the cinnamon was overpowering and UHT milk was a poor substitute to fresh full-fat milk. Beggars can’t be choosers though. I drank whatever he made and my loyalty has paid off. He now kindly makes me chai whenever I want.

So, for those of you want a taste of India, here’s Steve’s masala chai recipe. Depending on what spices you have and like (or not), adapt accordingly.

PS. I have personally never tried making this recipe … but I drink the results all the time so I figure that makes me an expert :o)

300ml milk, 750ml water
1 1/2 star anise
1/4 stick cinammon
6 cardamon
4 cloves
4 pepper corns
1 inch (2cm) fresh ginger
1 small vanilla pod
3 tbsp sugar
2 heaped tspn loose tea

Crush spices (not too fine). Add to milk and water. Bring to boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Add sugar and tea. Boil few minutes longer. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment