Sunday, September 5, 2010

15 Aug 08: Indian English

India, like Singapore, was a British colony. How else would a game like cricket be so popular that there are a few tv channels dedicated to the game. To give you context, there is only 1 dedicated to the entire Olympics. In a busy town like Mysore, the only time the streets are empty is when India plays Pakistan; everyone is indoors following the match on tv / radio. So it’s the best time to travel … if you can find a rickshaw driver.

The national language is Hindi. This is what the kids learn in school, with the everyday language being the state dialect. Eg, in Mysore which is in the state of Karnataka, they speak Kannada. Singaporeans learn Tamil in school because the early immigrants came from Tamil Nadu. This is in contrast to the current influx of more well-to-do Indian expats from up north who primarily speak Hindi.
It is interesting however that the language that most Indians speak when they meet each other for the first time is not Hindi, but English.

The English they speak in India though is unique (just like Singlish is to Singapore). It’s very quaint how they ask for your name … “And what is your good name Madam?” … always makes me feel like I’m talking to a British butler! And, women are always called Madam, never Miss, Mrs or Ms. I’m not sure if it’s because women get married so young here.

I just mentioned to my American bouncer-chef neighbour that he’s started to sound like a typical foreigner speaking Indian English … shortened sentences with an Indian accent. Just like my 2 Aussie friends when they speak to the rickshaw drivers, “Sir, here left turning. Here right turning. Here stopping”.

I’m used to having my name mutilated in Singapore. ‘Denise’ becomes ‘Dennis’ all time. Before the queue number system was put in place, I had to be 100% alert to hearing my name called out in government offices or I’d miss my turn. Here, I’m resigned to being called ‘Jenny’ – it’s just much easier than trying to correcting people and still get called anything but Denise. Jenny is just much easier. I was also Jenny to the young guy selling my favourite muruku for the last 3 years. This year however, I’ve become Jimmy! Of course I answer to that too.

Finally, there’s the agreeing headshake signifying ‘Yes’ but looking like ‘No’ which still confuses me after 4 years. Amazing how you pick that up though – quite therapeutic actually … try it 

PS. No need for a cunning plan. My landlord installed a washing machine last week!! That’s better than striking 4D! He said I could use it in 2 days after he got some mechanics sorted out. In true Indian time though, 2 days became 8! But who’s complaining. All remains is to test it to see if my clothes get ruined .. stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment