Monday, September 6, 2010

26 Oct 08: Anjali Ashram


On 2 occasions this trip, I’ve stayed overnight at a little Catholic ashram on the other side of town.  It’s a great getaway from the hustle and bustle of our little suburb for some peace and solitude.

Ashrams are unique to India and the Hindi religion.  ‘Ashram’ means ‘religious retreat’.  It is a secluded place, usually where the principles of yoga and meditation are taught and practiced.

Anjali Ashram was set-up by an Indian Priest, Fr. Amalorpavadas.  He wanted to spread the Catholic faith, but without alienating the rituals and traditions that are so much a part of the Indian culture.  At ashrams, the focus is on God realisation, any God you believe in.  Exclusive beliefs are ignored or re-interpreted and rituals are adapted to allow non-Christians to participate.

As a result, during mass, there are offerings of flowers and Fr. Louis uses hand mudras (gestures which focus and direct energy).  Another ritual is ‘Arati’, the waving of the oil lamp in front of the holy sepulchre.  People also bathe themselves in the holy flame by bringing the hands to the forehead (gesture of purification).

Instead of singing hymns or saying the rosary, bhajans (devotional songs) are sung and mantras are chanted.  The Gayatri mantra is a highly revered mantra in Hinduism.  It means:
"May the Almighty God illuminate our intellect to lead us along the righteous path"
.
 

Ritual life in Hindi ashrams evolves around the three (or four) sandhyas or gathering times for prayer and meditation.  There are 5 half-hour ‘sits’ at Anjali Ashram – 5.30am, 10am, 12pm, 3pm and 6pm.
Sometimes Fr. Louis or Sister Mariella will say a few words at the beginning of the session to direct our thoughts.  Other times we just sit in silence.

The objective of these ‘sits’ is to encourage interior prayer.  As Sister says, “In silence, you will find God”.  I try and clear my mind, focusing on watching my breath.  That’s hard and inevitably my mind wanders.  And that’s interesting too, to see what thoughts come into my head.

Ashrams are not without conflict in India.  Catholic ashrams have been accused of being the latest missionary strategy, intent on destroying Hinduism.  Hindus question whether yoga and puja (religious rituals to show love or respect to God), which are so deeply rooted in particular Hindu theological concepts can be ethically adopted by Christianity.

The opposite fear and suspicion lives in certain circles of conservative Christians.  They regard the adoption of Hindi rituals as acceptance of Hindu world views and beliefs and as a betrayal of the Christian faith.  In setting up Anjali Ashram, Fr. Amalorpavadas was considered a renegrade priest, even receiving death threats.

Friday at Anjali ashram is a day of silence and fasting.  Fasting just means no breakfast or afternoon tea.  My timing was of course impeccable.  I arrived after tea which means I don’t miss any meals.

Anjali ashram is set in a huge piece of land; mostly garden.  There is the main house with smaller clusters of smaller houses which are used for monthly retreats (60+ people each time).  In my time at the ashram however, there have only been 1 or 2 other people in residence, usually nuns or travellers passing through. 

Living at the ashram is very basic.  You get your own room with attached bathroom (squat toilet, bucket bath; no hot water).  There is no mattress, just a wooden board with a rattan mat, pillow, blanket and mosquito net.  Meals are simple but delicious.  The chai alone is reason enough to stay there.  There is no speaking at meals.  In fact silence is encouraged at all times.

Sister Mariella looks after the running of the ashram.  She’s a tiny old lady with a glowing skin and a beautiful voice.  Her presence brings a sense of calm into the room and every word reflects her spiritual soul.  At most ashrams, you help out with chores but since there are so few of us staying, Sister lets us off.  I usually bring a book out into the garden to read or take a nap.  As you all know, my inherited Chan gene means dosing off easily at any time of day so forty winks before a ‘sit’ prevents me from embarrassing myself by falling asleep and hitting my head on the floor.

I went to the ashram to get away for some peace and quiet.  Plus, where else can I be reminded of how much I’ve been blessed with … who else has a lovely thick yoga mat to put under their wooden board as extra padding.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Denise. I have just read with interest your post on Anjali Ashram. I am considering going there as part of a study trip for my Bachelor of Theology. I had not realised until today that the ashram was Catholic. I consider myself to embrace all religions so it is not a concern to me what it is, and it sounds like it is all-embracing - just what I want. My question to you is - what happens if you miss the early morning mass? I am NOT a morning person at all, and the thought of getting up at 4.30 am totally freaks me out. I am like you, I can fall asleep any time, but that also means that I find it hard to wake up! So tell me more.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle,
    Apologies for only replying now. It's fine if you miss early morning mass. You are not forced to do anything at the ashram. I don't think you'll sleep in if you only have a board for a mattress tho ;o)

    fyi - my friends have also gone to a Zen centre run by a Catholic Priest in Southern India.
    http://www.bodhizendo.org/
    I have heard many good things about it from them! Maybe you can check that out too.

    ReplyDelete