Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Life is Short World Tour 2012 - Half-time analysis


Euro 2012 is currently on and I have enjoyed the match analysis on BBC1 with Gary Linekar and company.  So it’s appropriate that I do some analysis on my trip so far.

This is what I wrote when I started my trip

I had 2 main goals – Catch up with people and Expose my yoga practice to new & different environments and teachers.

On the social front, it has been Brilliant (I’m in the UK now … doesn’t feel right to use ‘Awesome’).  I have seen many old, dear friends (one whom I have not seen in 17 years) and family, enjoyed many laughs, met up with my ex-consulting bosses and colleagues.  I also had a long overdue holiday with my parents in Italy and am having a lovely time with my brother, sister-in-law & rapidly growing nieces in London.  These are things that you cannot put any numerical value on.  They are experiences I treasure and memories I will savour.

On the practice front, it’s been abysmal on an initial evaluation.  The injury I suffered on the 3rd day of my trip was quite serious so I was not able to do my normal practice.  I did mainly self-practice and even on the rare occasion, when I practiced in the shalas, I did a very modified baby practice and I didn’t want any adjustments.   Upon closer scrutiny however, I am actually doing a better practice.  I am really watching and listening to my body; trying to figure out differences if I activate certain muscles versus relaxing & stretching other ones.  Yoga is about being present in the moment, the ability to surrender, letting go and trying to remain detached.  I think I succeeded in progressing in all those areas although I still have moments of frustration and doubt over my physical practice.

I was also fortunate that even with my injury, I was able to teach 6 Mysore classes (4 in Melbourne, 2 in Hawaii).  It made me realise how much I missed my classes back home.  The students were warm, receptive and gracious, a definite reflection on their teachers and the energy in their shalas. Definitely a trip highlight!  Many thanks - you know who you are :o)

I also learnt that being busy all the time isn’t necessarily always a good thing.  For me, when I do a lot, it feels good because I'm hyped up with adrenalin.  However, it can be overwhelming.  On the other hand, when I do less, I can savour every moment, every sensation.  When I have solitude, you have the quiet time to think, to reflect … and to fully appreciate what I have.

Ok, the whistle has blown, back to the second half.  Plus, Wimbledon has begun and the Olympics is next :o)

2 comments:

  1. It is very refreshing to read your write-up, it helps me to understand more of you and your yoga practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice sharing Denise.. thanks!
    love the particular part on doing yoga whilst you're recovering from injury...
    enjoy london!
    p.s.: i will be there for the olympics too, but only for 4 days.

    ReplyDelete