Friday, January 13, 2012

Mysore 2011 Part 2 – The Return of the Jedi


For the first time in my 6 trips to Mysore, I broke my trip into 2 parts.  After 2 months, I went home for a 12-day Xmas break and then returned to Mysore Dec28 for another 2 month stint.

The title ‘Return of the Jedi’ just popped into my head.  I’m sure spending time with my nephews in Toys R Us before Christmas (the Star Wars section of course) and seeing their excitement over their Star Wars toys, decals for their room etc influenced me.  It could also have been the black strips of Physio tape on my shoulder and arm (my right shoulder’s not very happy with me at the moment), which made me look like a Darth Vadar’s droid who failed the factory inspection test.

‘’The Empire Strikes back’’ did strike me as a possible title but that had an ominous overtone to it.   I’d like to think of myself as a returning ‘good’ warrior rather than someone out to do battle with Sharath or worse, vice versa.

Having a break in the practice was an interesting experience.  For me, it takes about a month after arriving in Mysore to get my practice up to a steady level.  Then it progresses slowly from the 2nd month onwards.  So, taking a break from practice in the shala to a comparatively hectic life of catching up with family and friends in Singapore (with lots of rain and ‘ponding’) was terrible from a practice-perspective.  Plus, I was teaching a few classes as well.  I hardly practiced ; a combination of a sore shoulder, not enough sleep, too much food and wanting to spend time with my nieces and nephews.  It was tough to see my practice plummet to such depths of pathetic-ness but I had no regrets – it was great to be home for the holidays.

It was also an interesting experiment to see if Rest would help my shoulder.  My conclusion – No, not for me.  Not practicing made me feel stiff and my shoulder felt frozen.  Once I started practicing in the shala though, it’s been getting better each day although I’m not back to normal yet.

When I arrived back in Mysore, it was after the coldest week where temperatures hit 7 degrees one night (the coldest in 118 years, so my landlord said).  My teeth were chattering as I stood in front of the Immigration officer that night (16 degrees I think it was).  Winter is now over apparently and it’s now going to get progressively hotter, starting to be unbearable from March.  For now, it’s perfect … cool in the mornings and evenings and warm in the day, minus the heavy humidity of Singapore.

Another first this year … I’d never been in Mysore in January or February before so it’s a different set of regulars.  I am also finding myself in the position of saying Good-bye as people leave.  I felt homesick for the first time as a lot of my ‘gang’ is leaving this coming week and I got a sms from my sister saying that it had been a tough day with the boys.  For a minute I wished I was home helping her out.

Although this is ‘peak’ season, there are so many people this year that the last practitioners are finishing after 12pm!  People who have registered to practice with Sharath have been asked if they would consider practicing with his mum, Saraswati, instead.  Sharath is saying No to anyone asking to extend their stay.  In fact, when my friend told him she was leaving early, he said Thank You.  Another friend from Mumbai was asked to go home and come back in July.  A new rule has also just been posted that the maximum stay is now 3 months (it used to be 6).

I also have no more stockings to occupy me so my current indulgent past-time is watching movies on my laptop.  I know it was what I was doing before but now I can fully concentrate on them without using them as an accompliment for something else.  I am glad I didn’t bring that unfinished cross-stich with me :o)

So, I have realised that coming back after a break isn’t just picking up where I left it.  It’s almost like a whole new trip.  Yet, some things stay the same – getting up every morning, walking to the shala, doing my practice, getting my 2 coconuts from Guru, then walking home to clean-up.  It’s a routine that keeps me stable through the variable elements in the environment around me.  I am very lucky to be here again for another 2 months.  Hhmm .. maybe I should change the title to the first Star Wars movie which is …  A New Hope.


Some interesting photos:
The light-up of the Club behind my house for New Year's Eve

Food coma after a Maney lunch

A very inconsiderate thing to order ... Paper Dosa.
My poor friend has no space for his food


3 comments:

  1. Hi Denise,
    you're a Star Wars' fan arent you! :D
    I really enjoy your Mysore stories, looking forward to the next post.
    Wish you all the fun time in Mysore in the next 2 months. Sad that i might not be able to practice in your class before I go from Spore, but happy to read your stories! :))
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. We appreciated you coming home for the hols! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. "hahah" to the super long Dosai. We miss you for Friday prayer meet and we have yet to even start on it for 2012. ohh ohh.

    ReplyDelete